I’m sure we’ve all had at least one person admire our work and then say something like “I would never have the patience for that..” And I’m just as sure that I’m not the only one who finds stitching to be relaxing or a form of stress relief. I started stitching “seriously” after I graduated from college and it’s been a part of my life since. The amount of stitching I’ve done has waxed and waned through the years, but I’ve always stitched at least a little. For me, the repetitive motion of pulling thread through fabric is soothing, and I can become absorbed and clear my mind of everything else, at least for a while. It’s no surprise, then, that my stitching has increased dramatically in the past couple of months. (Unfortunately my blogging has not kept pace with my stitching!) Eliminating the two hours that I spend in a car each working day has also given me more time to read blogs and get hooked on FlossTube… and become mesmerized by everyone’s plans for StitchMaynia.
At first I was more then happy to just let Maynia be a spectator sport for me. I’m not ready to admit to my actual number of WIPs publicly, even to a sympathetic audience. I will say, though, that the number is large enough that adding another 31 or even 15 starts to that number would stress me to the point where I would probably avoid stitching because I was overwhelmed. I’ve also been enjoying the fact that I’m stitching on what calls to me without any firm plans or rotations. The more I saw about Maynia, though, and the variety of ways that stitchers are embracing it, I decided I wanted to be part of the fun… but how? First I thought about doing what I’ve seen some FlossTubers doing and working on WIPs during the week and new starts on the weekends.. but that still felt like more structure than I really wanted right now. So, in the end, I decided that my form of Maynia is that I want to stitch every day in the month of May. Admittedly, this has been a bit easier this year due to a plethora of conference calls, less than fabulous weather and the dearth of activities outside the house. But it’s still a huge increase from my stitching norm for the first 2 1/2 months of this year. My only goal was to stitch – I’m allowing myself to stitch on whatever calls to me, whether it’s a WIP or a new start.
Soooo.. I’ve met my goal to date… and here are the results. I have one project that I don’t have a currently photo of. It’s my main project that I’ve been working on at home in the evenings; Letters from Nora letter C. It will be a gift for one of my adopted nieces. (I finished S for her sister in February.) I’m hoping to have a finish on this by the end of the month as I’ve been making decent progress.
Tempest in a Teacup by Teresa Wentzler. This was a finish on May 1st. It’s stitched on a piece of 28 count Quaker in a Limited Edition color from Silkweaver. Stitched with the called-for DMC and the following substitutions: Mill Hill 0557 beads for the outermost border, beads for the steam puffs, Kreinik #4 braid in 002 for the back-stitching on the border and the top of the dragon’s head. Kreinik #4 braid in 012 for the lettering on the teacup and Kreinik #4 braid in 032 for the lines between his nostrils and the steam puffs. I’m pretty pleased with the way this came out, and I’ve wanted to stitch him since he was published in 2006.
Hope by Rosewood Manor from the 2016 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue. Stitched on 32 count Platinum Lugana by Picture This Plus with the called for DMC. Beads were subbed for a complimentary color from my stash and the stars were changed from a combo of floss/blending filament to Kreinik #4 braid in 3214. I also changed them to Rhodes variations as the strait stitches charted did not work well with the braid and fabric count. This was a new start on May 1st and finished May 5th.
Blue Snowman by Little Stitcher from the 2016 Just Cross Stitch Ornament Issue. Stitched on 32 count Platinum Lugana by Picture This Plus with the called-for DMC and Mill Hill beads. This was a new start on May 8th that seemed appropriate for the snow that we got on Saturday. It was finished on May 9th.
Quaker Floral by Midnight Stitching. This is my piece for while I’m at 911 and the phones aren’t busy since it’s all using one color. Stitched in Weeks Dye Works Peacock on a 28 count linen that is only listed as “Vintage” on my receipt that was in the chart. This is another piece that I’ve had kitted since 2006. Anyone who has seen my progress photos on Facebook may notice that the right side of the alphabet has become unstitched. I have a couple of errors in the middle block; two of them I was easily able to compensate for, but I was one stitch too far to the right on the right column of letters and there was no way to deal with it except to frog.. it will be re-stitched tonight and hopefully there will be more forward progress. This was started in April.
Tree of Life Button and Beaded kit from Mill Hill. This was a new start on May 3rd. It’s my first stitch on perforated paper. So far it’s going well, and the colors are much prettier than the cover art. This is the piece that I’m working on during conference calls.
I have a few other projects in mind that I’d like to start, but I’m almost afraid to set aside the momentum that I have going for the pieces I’m working on. Possible starts before the end of May are:
I’ve acquired some stash while I’ve been at home, justified of course by the fact that I’m not spending money on my commute. More on that another day.. or if I get brave and dip my toe into the pool of FlossTube. I’ve been considering it…
In the meantime, I can’t wait to see what else everyone is up to and what IHSW brings next week!